Mushroom Lasagna is a great way to take a break from the usual layers, particularly if you want to learn to cook without meat or if you are a veggie lover. It makes a wonderful company dish and you can do it ahead of time or you can freeze it for an unexpected, quick dinner for drop-in guests. Vegetarian friends will particularly appreciate this tasty and luscious meal. Be creative and use bellas or other rich and delicious varieties of mushrooms. Serve with a fresh green salad and some crusty bread. It is also a great way to stretch your kid’s taste buds. Chances are if they like Italian dishes and particularly lasagna, then they will be willing to give the mushroom version a try. It is also an economical way to celebrate.
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 5lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups milk
- 1 ½ sticks butter, sliced
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- 3/4lb. lasagna noodles
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup mozzarella, torn into pieces
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in simmering salted water.
- You should not cook the lasagna noodles more than 10 minutes. Drain and place aside. You can brush with some oil to prevent sticking.
- Prepare the white sauce: bring the milk to simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan. Once the butter is melted whisk in the flour until you have a smooth paste. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking to incorporate.
- Season the sauce to taste and stir in the nutmeg. Place the mix over the medium heat and bring to simmer. Cook until slightly thickened, for 4-5 minutes. Place aside.
- Melt remaining butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add the basil along with the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Place aside.
- Assemble the lasagna: spread some of the white sauce in the bottom of a 8×12-inch lasagna dish. Cover the bottom with prepared lasagna noodles. Top with some more sauce and add 1/3 mushrooms, 1/3 mozzarella and ¼ parmesan.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with the parmesan as a final layer.
- Bake the lasagna for 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow cooling for 10-15 minutes. Slice and serve. Garnish with some fresh basil.